As I mentioned in my first entry, I'm having issues with trying to get to the 3/6 game.
When I first switched to NL, my plan was to start at the .5/1 until I was up 20BIs (including bonus/rakeback). Then take half the money (5BI) to the next level. If I lost it, move back down until I got it back and try again. It took 4 months and about 20,000 hands to get there and the profit was about a 50/50 split between poker and bonus (I was still whoring a bit). I moved to the 1/2 game, but when I started to play bodog, they don't spread 1/2 6max so I started playing 2/3 instead. I ran hot and the games were soft and I had my 20BI in about 2.5 months and 10,000 hands. This time it was almost all poker profit and I was stunned.
I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger to 3/6 at that time. I felt like I'd run white hot since I'd moved up. Feb and Mar had been my biggest months ever (>2500 each). I had a mindset that the heater was bound to come crashing down and I sure didn't want it to be $600 at a time. After only 10,000 hands the money at 2/3 was still a bit intimitdating at times and I was afraid of playing scared money if I went higher.
I didn't set a new goal to move up and now I've been playing the same game for 8 months and over 60k hands. I'm up over 60BIs before rakeback and winning at almost 6 PTBB/100. I still feel like I've run pretty well and I still have some leaks, but I'm now very certain I can beat this site/stakes long term and am consistently one of the better players at the table.
Time to move up, right? I've stuck my toe into the 600s a few times. Played about 1000 hands and am down about 2 BIs. I think I'm probably able to win at this game, but it seems like a pretty big jump in the quality of play. Games are much more aggressive with many more solid regulars. There are still some LOL Bodog players, but not nearly as many as the 2/3 game. My main issues:
1) Quality of play makes me wonder if I can win at half the rate that I can beat the other game
2) Sheer dollars of a potential downswing start to bring out the nit in me. The thought of losing like $2k in a night is just AAAHHHH. I'm up many times that this year, but $2k is still $2k and it would sting
3) I'm playing 21/15 at the 2/3 game and there are many times where I can limp the SB for a dollar and get like 10:1 inflating that a bit. In the more aggressive 3/6 game there are more raises in front and more 3 betting from the blinds taking away easy steal opps and limper isolation raises. So far I've played 19/13 at the 3/6 and I just don't know how effectively you can play if you're that tight.
1) suck it up, be a man, take $3k up and see what happens
2) Spend the rest of 2007 trying to get more lag and try a 30/20 style at the 300s and then give 3/6 a shot
3) spend some rakeback money on a coach to tighten some leaks, loosen me up, and get me over the hump
4) just chill at the 300s, say LOL Bodog multiple times a night, maybe add another table (I play 2 now) and play relatively stress free
I have a good job and don't depend on poker for anything. I play for fun and some FU money. I fund my Vegas trips, I bought a nicer car than I probably would have, once in a while I'll do something frivilous and call it "POKER MONEY", but honestly I could do all that stuff anyway. But more money is still more money and there's an allure to beating higher games just as a sense of accomplishment, a feeling that I AM GOOD AT THIS, that all the time I spend thinking about poker is getting me better. I don't know how long I can get that just raking in money against bodog donks at the 300s forever.
This ended up longer than I expected, so I'll cut it off. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated if anybody has stayed awake long enough to get to the end.